Editing services by a professional editor can add value to any document. I have 15+ years of experience editing and proofreading documents of all types.
Here are answers to frequently asked questions about the Pen of Jen’s editing services.
What are your rates?
Rates will depend on your deadline and the complexity and length of the document. Therefore, editing jobs with short turnaround times, more technical material, or a high word/page count will cost more. Proofreading-only jobs will cost less than editing jobs. As a result, I will provide you with a quote once we’ve discussed the job details.
How do editing and proofreading differ?
Proofreading primarily involves checking a document for “surface” errors, such as grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. By
How will you improve my document?
I will work extensively with your document to improve readability, clarity, flow, and accuracy. With every document, my editing goals are to:
- Preserve the writer’s unique voice
- Eliminate awkward or confusing phrasing
- Remove redundancies
- Ensure continuity throughout the document
- Encourage an active voice versus a passive voice
- Fix grammatical and spelling mistake
- Make suggestions for improvements to the overall document.
What is your editing process?
Over the years, I’ve found that editing a document requires several steps. During each step, I focus on a different editing goal. As a result, my editing process usually looks like this:
- Initial read
- Focus on improving readability and flow
- Correct grammar and spelling mistakes
- Edit to ensure continuity
- Final read to correct any other issues
- Make suggestions for additional improvements (if applicable).
Will I be able to see or approve your edits?
Whenever possible, I will provide two versions of the final piece—an edited version and a version in which each edit can be approved by you.
What programs do you work in?
I can work in Microsoft Word, Google Docs or Apple Pages.